[Distutils] [Fwd: Re: Annoucing distribute project]

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 16:58:02 CEST 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 3:46 PM, Tarek Ziade <tarek.ziade at ingeniweb.com>wrote:

> 2008/9/28 Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com>
>
>> Greg Ewing wrote:
>>
>>> Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>>
>>>  the domain knowledge embedded in the distutils are of fairly limited

>>> Seems to me that if there were a well-defined API for
>>> plugging in platform-dependent modules, it shouldn't be
>>> too hard to find people willing to contribute modules
>>> for the platforms they're familiar with.
>>>

>> For the most part I don't think you'd even need plugins, these
>> platform-dependent tools could just be independent, maybe working more like:
>>
>>  make_wininst SomePackage/
>>
>> They'd read the metadata about the package, and just do their work however
>> they wanted.  Plugins get complicated compared to stand-alone tools.
>

> +1
>
> this is exactly the same thing for uploading or registering a package at
> PyPI. We don't need to use command plugins for that as long as
> the medata can be read to do the job.

What about gently splitting setup.py in two ?

Let's define in distutils a PackageInfo class, that provides the metadata,
with default values when
applicable. Let's put this class definition in a file called package_info.py
or even at the root in __init__.

Setup.py could use it instead of asking these metadata as arguments for
setupt()

>From there, any tool could use these metadata without calling the distutils
commands.

I mean, it's a really simple change and it could be a first step to split
the concerns in distutils

Tarek

Tarek Ziadé | Association AfPy | www.afpy.org
Blog FR | http://programmation-python.org