[Distutils] [pyconuk] "just use debian"

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Tue Sep 30 14:38:06 CEST 2008

On Sep 29, 2008, at 6:09 AM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:

> Now, the question is,  what would debian miss in here to install:
>
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0345/

It really seems to me that PEP-345's specification of dependency
metadata is the wrong starting point.

There are not, to my knowledge, any Python packages in existence
which use this form of dependency metadata, and there are not, to my
knowledge, any Python tools which are capable of producing or
consuming it.

In contrast, there are a large number of packages already in
existence that declare their dependencies in their EGG-INFO/
depends.txt.  There are many tools -- I don't even know how many --
which already know how to produce and consume that dependency metadata.

In fact, one such tool has a patch that I contributed myself to use
that dependency metadata to automatically produce the Debian
"Depends:" information [1].  I learned yesterday that there is a tool
by David Malcolm to do likewise for Fedora RPM packages.

We would gain power by continuing to use the format that is already
implemented and deployed, instead of asking everyone to switch to a
different format.

So it seems like the next step is to write a PEP that supercedes the
parts of PEP-345 which are about dependency metadata and instead says
that the standard way to encode Python dependency metadata is in the
EGG-INFO/requires.txt file.

Regards,

Zooko

[1] https://code.launchpad.net/~astraw/stdeb/autofind-depends