[Distutils] PEP for distutils

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Tue Sep 30 17:38:22 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 04:01:01PM +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
> That said, I didn't see any indication of what I consider to be a critical
> failure in PyPI: No dependency metadata prior to downloading the package.

+1. I want to be able do list all the packages an easy_install run will
download without running it. Something like the "-s" option of apt-get.
In addition, I want this information to be available programmatically (ie
with a good api, not something that expects to be called from the command
line) to be able to use it to build dependency graphs, generate conflicts
list, or simply tell me that I have requested something that is
impossible.

There is nothing that I hate more than easy_install failing after having
half-installed a package because of a missing dependency. This is one of
the reasons I am never too happy when I have to run easy_install.

Gaël