[Distutils] "just use debian"

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 18:01:49 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 5:55 PM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Tarek Ziade wrote:
>>
>> For KGS I agree that this is a big work, but there's the need to work at a
>> higher level that in your package
>
> Why? You really need to explain to me why the dependency information in each
> of the packages isn't enough?

Because you can keep up with the dependencies changes, removed, or introduced
by a package you depend on.

How do you decide that the version 1.2 of bar is the one you should use,
when you use the foo package that can work with any version of bar ?

You can define the version of foo, but can't describe all the versions of
the packages foo uses. You'd end up building your own KGS in a way..

So a general list of versions can help

>> Python frameworks are exploding in a myriad of packags : a Python
>> instalation needs to  handle up to a hundreds of public packages now to run
>> a plone site for example
>
> Yes, Plone and Zope both got the wrong end of the stick by making myriads of
> eggs rather than a few big ones...

I think it is a good opportunity to re-uses things. Right now I can
work on projects
that use packages from pylons AND plone AND zope 3.

Bigger eggs wouldn't let you reuse thing like you can now imho

--
Tarek Ziadé | Association AfPy | www.afpy.org
Blog FR | http://programmation-python.org