[Distutils] "just use debian"

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Sep 30 18:12:39 CEST 2008

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>> Tarek Ziade wrote:
>>> For KGS I agree that this is a big work, but there's the need to work at a
>>> higher level that in your package
>> Why? You really need to explain to me why the dependency information in each
>> of the packages isn't enough?
>
> Because you can keep up with the dependencies changes, removed, or introduced
> by a package you depend on.

Why can this not be expressed in the dependency information in the package?

> How do you decide that the version 1.2 of bar is the one you should use,
> when you use the foo package that can work with any version of bar ?

If you are using no other packages that have a dependency on bar that
has a specific version requirement, then the answer is that you can use
any version of bar you desire.

> You can define the version of foo, but can't describe all the versions of
> the packages foo uses.

Why?

> You'd end up building your own KGS in a way..

...you mean like the [versions] section with buildout?
Yes, I agree us paranoid people may want to do that, but we really
shouldn't need to provided the packages each correctly define their
dependencies...

> So a general list of versions can help

I would be happy to wager that this would never successfully be maintained.

> Bigger eggs wouldn't let you reuse thing like you can now imho

That doesn't explain the majority of eggs that end up dragging a whole
load of eggs down themselves. In this case, they should all be packaged
as one egg...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk