[Distutils] "just use debian"

Josselin Mouette joss at debian.org
Tue Sep 30 18:17:42 CEST 2008

Le mardi 30 septembre 2008 à 17:08 +0100, Chris Withers a écrit :
> Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > It doesn’t have to go away per se, but we need proper ways to deal with
> > incompatible changes in the interfaces.
>
> Well, the generally accepted way seems to be to increase the major
> version number...

This information is not accessible directly at import time. If you want
to rely on it to check the API compatibility, you’ll end up doing the
horrible things pygtk and gst-python did. And believe me, that will not
be helpful.

> > In Python libraries, this is not possible without changing the code,
> > since the file name and the module name are the same.
>
> The distribution name and package/module name do not have to be the same...

Indeed, but if we change the package name without changing the file
name, we have to make both packages conflict with each other. This works
for distribution packages, but it doesn’t help for third-party addons,
and it can make things complicated if two packages need different APIs.

> > It will suffice, but we will not be able to manage it in distributions
> > if you allow too many weird things to be specified in these
> > dependencies.
>
> Explain "too many weird things"...

I showed already two examples: versioned provides and exact
dependencies. That’s just after thinking about it for 5 minutes; if we
want it to really work, we need to thoroughly think of what exact kind
of information we are able to use.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.