[Distutils] Just downloading an egg

Pascoe, S (Stephen) S.Pascoe at rl.ac.uk
Tue Sep 30 23:22:29 CEST 2008

I often just want to do with easy_install is download an egg from pypi without installing it.  I've studied the easy_install documentation and never found a way to do it.  Even giving it the "-d" option results in easy-install.pth being created and other unwanted stuff.

Looking at the setuptools pydoc I worked out a way to do it:

>>> import setuptools
>>> d = setuptools.Distribution()
>>> d.fetch_build_egg(requirement)

Voila! the egg is downloaded into cwd.  It even seems built an egg from a tarball.

My question is, can I rely on this feature and is it the best way of doing what I want?  I'd like to use it in my code and hope it stays.  It would be ideal if I could do this through easy_install.

Thanks,
Stephen.