[Distutils] [buildout] cool behaviour I didn't know about? :-)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Apr 3 21:34:46 CEST 2009

On Apr 3, 2009, at 7:32 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've been working on getting Zope 2.12 instances to build from a
> simple buildout without any funky recipes.
>
> This morning I tried this at the start:
>
> [buildout]
> parts = zeoinstance
> extends = http://svn.zope.org/*checkout*/Zope/tags/2.12.0a1/versions-zope2.cfg
>
> ...expecting buildout to barf 'cos it couldn't find the versions-
> zope3.cfg that's referenced in versions-zope2.cfg.
>
> However, buildout happily did the right thing and downloaded it from
> http://svn.zope.org/*checkout*/Zope/tags/2.12.0a1/versions-zope3.cfg
>
> Is this documented, expected behaviour (if so, where

Yes. See the two sections starting with:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout#multiple-configuration-files

> why?)

Why is this documented? Or why does this work?

Documentation is good and the features are useful.

> PS: If it is documented and expected, what would happen if I had my
> own versions-zope3.cfg in the same folder as my buildout.cfg? Which
> one would get picked?

Since it is documented, why not read the documentation and find out?

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation