[Distutils] bdist_egg vs bdist_wininst oddity

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Apr 4 19:47:40 CEST 2009

At 01:14 PM 4/4/2009 +0200, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
>So I was building two new packages for Genshi and encountered this
>using setuptools 0.6c9: Genshi-0.5.1-py2.6-win32.egg
>Genshi-0.5.1.win32-py2.6.exe Why does the python version designation
>and platform specifier arbitrarily change place? Should this be
>logged as an issue to make sure such filenames are consistent?

If either format is to be changed, it needs to be for a reason more
important than just being "consistent", as tools exist that parse the
filenames as they are currently coded.

Since .egg filenames have to be machine-parseable without ambiguity,
their filename format is fixed, and was chosen in such a way as to
make parts of the filename optional.  Setuptools also parses
bdist_wininst filenames and other distutils-generated filenames,
however, and this is based on their current generating patterns (even
though individual filenames can be ambiguous as to their meaning).