[Distutils] Deprecate MANIFEST.in

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Apr 6 05:42:50 CEST 2009

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> Hello
>
> After some discussions with people at Pycon, we think that the
> MANIFEST template should be removed.

I am all for removing MANIFEST.in, but we should first make sure all its
uses are covered by distutils. Currently, they are far from being
fullfilled. The ones which come to mind are:
    - a reliable way to include package_data
    - a reliable way to add documentation (and install them somewhere
which can be customized at build time and installation time)

It is important to be able to notify where to put them in sdist and at
installation time,

cheers,

David