[Distutils] Deprecate MANIFEST.in

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 17:46:18 CEST 2009

2009/4/6 Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com>:
> 2009/4/6 P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com>:
>> I mean understanding the use cases and how distutils features are used in
>> the field.
>
> This is of course true. But quite likely, the only one who does that
> is you. So it's up to you to document it so others can make solutions
> that are easy to understand. :)
>
>> I agree with you.  But I 100% disagree with Tarek that the way to get there
>> is by refactoring the distutils.  The distutils are stable (i.e., dead and
>> obsolete) and need to be *replaced*, not refactored.
>
> One of the language summit conclusions was that many of the features
> if pkg_resources should make it into the stdlib,

Some people are currently looking at that : extracting the good bits
of pkg_resources.

>  and that since
> distutils was stable, it was probably best to make that a new library.

That was not exactly the conclusion of the summit. The idea is to make
distutils
a light, reference library, on wich third party libraries could implements
OS-dependant features and so on. So part of the plan is to remove bdist_*, etc..