[Distutils] Deprecate MANIFEST.in

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Apr 7 02:29:39 CEST 2009

David Cournapeau <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> writes:

> Tres Seaver wrote:
> > In *any* case I know of: including non-VCS-controleld files in an
> > sdist is an anti-usecase for me.
>
> A simple example: including sphinx-generated documentation.

That's a good counter-point to Tres's point, true.

> If including non-VCS controled stuff is an anti-case, then why
> having sdist at all ? Any half decent VCS can generate a tarball
> directly from the files it controls.

This continues to be irrelevant. I don't know why you keep repeating
it.

An sdist is *not* just a tarball of the source files. The important
difference is that it contains metadata generated and assembled by
distutils (or an equivalent) that is specific to Python's distutils
system. Hence, the job of creating an sdist is *not* something for the
VCS to do.

--
 \     “Many are stubborn in pursuit of the path they have chosen, few |
  `\                     in pursuit of the goal.” —Friedrich Nietzsche |