[Distutils] Deprecate MANIFEST.in

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 07:36:01 CEST 2009

On 2009-04-07 00:20, Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 06:17, David Cournapeau
> <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp>  wrote:
>> Ben Finney wrote:
>>> An sdist is *not* just a tarball of the source files.
>> It is if you consider any non-tracked file to be an anti-usecase, which
>> is what I was answering to :)
>
> Except for files generated by the sdist/build-process, yes. Why would
> you want to include files in a distribution that are neither
> controlled source files or a result of the sdist/build process?

Unfortunately, the setup.py file is not always capable of performing all of the
build processes (at least, not easily). One might use a Makefile or other build
tool to build the docs or other assets. So you need a manual way of telling the
setup.py file what additional files to include.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco