[Distutils] Deprecate MANIFEST.in

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Tue Apr 7 09:35:56 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 09:55:47AM -0400, P.J. Eby wrote:
> At 12:25 PM 4/6/2009 +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:

>> > If you've reported this as a problem or filed a bug for it, I appear to
>> > have missed it.  Steps to reproduce, and the expected vs. actual
>> > behavior would be helpful.
>>
>> Sorry about that, I though it was working as designed (having seen
>> discussions about it here on this list).
>>
>>   1. Build a package from an svn checkout -> it works
>>   2. Build a package from a tree exported with svn export -> it fails,
>>      since the MANIFEST.in is nonexistent/incomplete, but you never
>>      notice that while developing
>>   3. Change the test fixture to ignore .svn subdirectories when tarring
>>      up the working tree and copying it into the virtual machine for
>>      building (cannot use svn export here, since the tests need to test
>>      your working tree with uncommitted changes).
>
> Can't you use an sdist here instead of a manually-created tarball? Or
> would that not fix the problem for some reason?

Not really; this is a tarball of a larger system which is not eggified
(and now contains a couple of setuptoolized packages in subdirectories).

The thing that worries me most is that when I listen to arguments on
this list, it all makes sense, and the sun is shining, and the feature
feels good.  But then you get new users unfamiliar with all the
intricacies, and they get confused, and sometimes release broken
packages into the wild.

Marius Gedminas
--
If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would ever get done.