[Distutils] Deprecate MANIFEST.in

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 10:09:33 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 09:40, David Cournapeau
<david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Lennart Regebro wrote:
>>
>> "Lower system"? What would that be? This is about if we should support
>> getting a file list from the VCS or not to determine what files should
>> go in a sdist.
>
> We can argue all day long

Possibly. I can't say we are arguing though. You are just saying that
you don't agree, but you still come with no arguments for your
standpoint or against mine. It's obvious that you have made up your
mind, but you don't know why. You may be correct, but to convince me
you need concrete arguments. Not fuzzy broad statements that you fail
to explain.

> but since there is a disagreement, there is
> only two issues: either someone decides for one behavior or the other,
> or we acknowledge our difference and decide on less ambitious goals to
> build other tools above.

Less ambitious goals? We are discussing if the VCS should be a part of
determining the list of files that goes into a distribution or not.
This is not in any way ambitious. You claim that it under no
circumstance should be a part of it, but you have no arguments for
that standpoint. I claim that it is a good and reasonable way to
determine which files should be included, unless the files are
otherwise specified.

How can we have any "less ambitions" goals than this?

>>  I have a hard time envisioning anything "lower" than
>> that.
>
> Why so ? Few packaging system use the VCS as the lower system to know
> what goes in a distribution, most of them (regardless of the platform:
> windows, unix, mac os x) uses something more low level than this at the
> implementation level.

I totally fail to see how this is in any way "lower", and repeat my
question: "Lower system"? What would that be? What is a "lower system"
in determining a file list? I suggested a three step process:

1. If there is explicit definitions, use that.
2. If not, then if there is a VCS, use that.
3. If not, include all files except those extensions that are known to
be temporary files.

Where in this is there a "lower level"?

--
Lennart Regebro: Pythonista, Barista, Notsotrista.
http://regebro.wordpress.com/