[Distutils] Deprecate MANIFEST.in

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 06:09:50 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 04:58, David Cournapeau
<david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Why those assumptions on what people can do. That's exactly what's wrong
> with distutils for me, all those untold assumptions, which are
> 'obviously' correct. As I said previously, including built documentation
> is something I use MANIFEST.in for, and should be supported, or at least
> possible.

That's covered by the "derived" case.

> Making things easier for some people is fine - as long as it does not
> prevent other usage.

Nobody has anywhere in this discussion suggested anything that in any
shape, form or way prevents any sort of other usage.

You still aren't listening.

> Anything which does not solve the fact that sdist
> command gives a different tarball depending on whether it is generated
> by distutils, setuptools, paver and co is useless to me.

You agree that distutils have a problem in this area. Setuptools
overrides the behaviour so that it is less broken, to fix your usecase
and include files you want included, but which distutils would not
include. And then you complain that setuptools doesn't create the
exact same sdist as distutils.

Yeah, that makes sense. Not.

> Anything which does not solve the fact

And exactly which anything are you referring to here? Again, you are
not being specific, but you come with implicit general accusations
against everything and everyone. I am not aware on any suggestion done
in this discussion which does *not* solve this problem.

> Environment was a poorly chosen word. Of course, if I use a different
> cython, etc... version, the files are different. But on a same
> environment (same tools, compilers, etc...), having a different tarball
> depending on the sources are under a VCS or another or not is a
> fundamental misfeature, at least for me.

Well, fine. So specify what files you want included then. Problem solved.

You still aren't listening, and as a result, you are wasting peoples
time by arguing against straw men.

--
Lennart Regebro: Pythonista, Barista, Notsotrista.
http://regebro.wordpress.com/