[Distutils] Deprecate MANIFEST.in

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 11:54:49 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/4/8 Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com>:
>> As a bystander, what *I* care most about is that Python ends up with a
>> single approach to creating and distributing extensions. What concerns
>> me most about this whole discussion, is that it seems like no-one is
>> attempting to compromise, and participants are pulling further apart
>> rather than converging on a solution.
>>
>> Two solutions is significantly worse than none, in my book.
>
> BTW, I share David's pain here - I have spent some time in the past
> explaining *my* requirements, and have found that I repeatedly come up
> against either blank "I don't understand why you want that" responses,
> or suggestions that I change how I work to match what's proposed.
>
> Nobody seems to be attempting to collect requirements here.

I do, in the wiki. I am trying to synchronize the work done at Pycon, and
in the future. I am trying to synthethize the needs there.

http://wiki.python.org/moin/DistutilsVersionFight
http://wiki.python.org/moin/Distutils/ManifestPluginSystem
http://wiki.python.org/moin/Distutils/Metadata
http://wiki.python.org/moin/Distutils/StaticMetadata
http://wiki.python.org/moin/Distutils/StandardizeEggInfo

What will happen in any case, is that I am going to move Distutils
forward and make decisions for Python 2.7, based on those pages that will
become PEPs at some point.

Some people will complain here as usual, but nevertheless.

So, if you and anyone wants to help, read those wiki pages
and join, by commenting them or completing them.

Cheers
Tarek