[Distutils] Plugins for the MANIFEST file

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 12:03:39 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 10:21, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I agree with this. Remember: I wanted to deprecate MANIFEST.in in favor of
>> a pure python description. Then people strongly objected.
>
> How many people objected? Would it be OK to only have support for this
> in an external plugin, and not in stdlib?

These changes will go into Python current Distutils. You are welcome to help
on enhancing this proposal.

> Again, this is of course only possible if the new distutils is called
> something else, as we need backwards compatibility for a Very Long
> Time if it continues to be called distutils.

We are going to work as we said during the Summit :

- make distutils lighter, and provide better/simpler ways to use it
- include the good bits of setuptools in it
- provide a backport for 2.5/2.6 as soon as 2.7 is out.

I am changing my strategy. Since I am the current Distutils
maintainer, I will take the role of
'packaging dictator' for Python 2.7.

If you think I am missing some points (I am probably), You will need
to complete the wiki pages
or write a new page there explaining what you would like to see
included in Distutils.

But I will not work in flame-threads anymore on my side.

Cheers
Tarek