[Distutils] Distutils changes - end user requirements (Was: Deprecate MANIFEST.in)

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 06:20:24 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 12:27, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. (Meta-requirement) I want to be able to download a Windows
> installer[1] for *every* package I need.

I would like to know why you have this requirement. Some sort of
Windows binary, absolutely. But an installer? Would a package
management GUI be enough? A Windows software that can install (and
remove) eggs?

> 1a. This means that the barrier for packagers building Windows
> installers should be as low as possible.

Agreed.

> 1b. It also means that other formats (e.g. eggs) should offer no
> benefit over Windows installers

Well... they don't, do they? Except that they can be easy_installed, right?

--
Lennart Regebro: Pythonista, Barista, Notsotrista.
http://regebro.wordpress.com/