[Distutils] Distutils changes - end user requirements (Was: Deprecate MANIFEST.in)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 16:03:45 CEST 2009

2009/4/9 Eric Smith <eric at trueblade.com>:
> Paul Moore wrote:
>>
>> An
>> egg->bdist_wininst converter would fix this issue. As would everyone
>> standardising on bdist_wininst (which, as per the previous message,
>> appears to be prefectly feasible given that bdist_wininst seems to be
>> a strict superset of egg...)
>
> I don't think this is true. I don't think bdist_wininst supports the
> buildout use case where I want to install multiple versions of multiple
> packages in different (or even the same) directory. This is a critical use
> case for Zope/Plone apps.

OK, I'm making that statement based on some earlier comments. I've
probably misunderstood them.

But I thought easy_install could take a bdist_wininst installer and
use it to make an egg? Am I wrong? Or is that not relevant here? Or is
this another one of those "eggs are not easy_install is not
setuptools" distinctions that confuses me so much? :-(

Paul.