[Distutils] Distutils changes - end user requirements (Was: Deprecate MANIFEST.in)

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Fri Apr 10 00:19:52 CEST 2009

On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 10:24:18AM +0100, Paul Moore wrote:
> 2009/4/9 Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com>:
> > On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 12:27, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> 1. (Meta-requirement) I want to be able to download a Windows
> >> installer[1] for *every* package I need.
> >
> > I would like to know why you have this requirement. Some sort of
> > Windows binary, absolutely. But an installer? Would a package
> > management GUI be enough? A Windows software that can install (and
> > remove) eggs?
>
> Because I like to see my installed Python packages in Windows'
> "Add/Remove Programs" list.

But that list is for *programs*, not *libraries*.

I'd understand a wish that a Python app (that also depends on twenty
other Python libraries) be bundled as a single Windows installer (that
contains all those twenty libraries inside) for an easy
next->next->next->finish installation.

I don't understand a desire of downloading twenty .exe files and
clicking on them all to get an app running.  Did I misunderstand
something?

Marius Gedminas
--
Added mysterious, undocumented --scanflags and --fuzzy options.
        -- nmap 3.0 announcement