[Distutils] RFC: Updating PEP 345

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Mon Apr 13 06:27:00 CEST 2009

On Apr 12, 2009, at 10:06 AM, Tres Seaver wrote:

>> ... there seem to be many tools out there which are designed to
>> work with the current egg metadata.  The fewer unnecessary name-
>> changes we impose, the more likely the authors of all those tools
>> will update their tools to interoperate with the new Distutils.
>
> None of them are working with any dependency-based PKG-INFO fields,
> Some of them may be working with arguments passed to 'setup
> ()' (e.g., by running 'egg-info' in a tempdir and parsing the
> setuptools-specific files), but such tools will have to be changed
> anyway (e.g., to use the new PKG-INFO fields instead of parsing
> requries.txt).

That makes sense. What I said wasn't that the tools would
automatically interoperate, rather that using the same name would
make it easier for those authors to start supporting the New Distutils.

However, I think I've expressed my opinion on the issue with
sufficient thoroughness that I can now leave the decision up to you.

Regards,

Zooko