[Distutils] What's missing from easy_install

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Apr 13 06:54:24 CEST 2009

Bill Campbell wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 8:05 AM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> 1. easy_remove!
>>>
>>> 2. Various utilities to provide query package management.
>>>   - easy_install --list (list files installed)
>>>
>>    Implementing is easier said than done, and I think you got that
>> idea from the lack of response from folks...
>>

> I don't see why this should be all that difficult to implement.

In part because different people want different things from the
packaging, with often conflicting goals. Those conflicts increase pretty
quickly when you take into account different platforms/type of
development (desktop apps vs "libraries" vs webapp vs etc...). The
"cross-platformness" alone, with the underlying philosophical
differences on how to do deployment  (bundling vs backward compatible
dependencies, etc...) is quite hard to manage.

David