[Distutils] PEP 376 - install/uninstall script in Distutils ?

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 23:23:10 CEST 2009

Hello

I am working on PEP 376
<http://svn.python.org/projects/peps/trunk/pep-0376.txt>,  and there's
a part about adding an install and uninstall script into Distutils.

The question is, do we want to propose a reference implementation of
these scripts into Distutils ?

I'd be in favor of just describing in this PEP what a install script
and an uninstall script should do, and not include any reference
implementation in Distutils.
(and leave it to pip, setuptools, etc..)

It forces people to pick on third party tool, but as long as it
complies with the PEP, I guess it's better to leave it outside.

Any opinion ?

Regards
Tarek

--