[Distutils] What's missing from easy_install

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 14:56:21 CEST 2009

David Cournapeau wrote:

> Bill Campbell wrote:

>>>    Implementing is easier said than done, and I think you got that
>>> idea from the lack of response from folks...
>>>

>> I don't see why this should be all that difficult to implement.
>>

> In part because different people want different things from the
> packaging, with often conflicting goals. Those conflicts increase pretty
> quickly when you take into account different platforms/type of
> development (desktop apps vs "libraries" vs webapp vs etc...). The
> "cross-platformness" alone, with the underlying philosophical
> differences on how to do deployment  (bundling vs backward compatible
> dependencies, etc...) is quite hard to manage.

The issue I need to address is to cooperate with other packaging systems.
I'm using Fedora, which is rpm/yum based.  A new python module is announced,
I'd like to easy_install it.  The official fedora package may be delayed by
weeks.  So I easy_install.  But when the fedora update comes, they may
conflict.  For example, scons from fedora will place things in
/usr/lib/scons, not the same as easy_install.  easy_install will modify
easy-install.pth.  Nothing will clean it.  So, there is a real need for
easy_uninstall.