[Distutils] Questionnaire: Why do you use setuptools?

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 11:23:34 CEST 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Setuptools non-support for Python 3 is currently a serious hindrance
> towards Python 3 aceptance. I'm trying to figure out what to do as a
> next step in the Python 3 support for setuptools. And I have
> encountered some obstacles. The first one is that setuptools requires
> itself for installing and running tests. That makes it hard to install
> it under Python 3. There are various solutions to this, but the next
> obstacle I encounter in choosing the right solution is that the code
> is hard to understand, and it makes me want to just rip it out and
> start over, or in even more frustrated moments, avoid the problems by
> not using setuptools at all. But the third obstacle for that is that I
> don't actually know what features of setuptools people use.
>
> I personally use setuptools for these reasons:
>
> 1. When I create projects with paster, it uses setuptools.
> 2. Setuptools makes it possible to specify requirements, which is then
> used by buildout.
> 3. Namespace packages require pkg_resources?
> 4. The test command.
>
> What are the other major reasons people use setuptools?

entry points (in the "how to extend commands" topic I might propose to
include it/use it but it would need to be separated
from pkg_resources)

> Is there any good reason to not extract the namespace package support
> into a separate package?

It's on its way http://svn.python.org/projects/peps/trunk/pep-0382.txt

and PEP 345 is being reworked to include requires
http://svn.python.org/projects/peps/branches/jim-update-345/pep-0345.txt

Anyways, you can probably help if you worked on pkg_resources, by
splitting all its components in pep-8-ied, readable elements
in your branch

Cheers
Tarek

Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org