[Distutils] Questionnaire: Why do you use setuptools?

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 09:30:37 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 09:17, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
> Of course if you create a project template that uses distutils, then that's
> what you'll get... just happens no one does that with paster templates.

Oh, sure, it's just lazyness from my side, nothing else.

> Entry points are the big one for me.  There is some other metadata that I
> use from time to time, but I'm sure I could work around it.  Of course
> there's the specific things pip uses as noted in a previous email.

Yeah, it's clear to me that there is enough different features of
setuptools in such widespread usage that replacing it with something
else that actually is easily portable to Python 3 isn't feasible. To
get more modules running under Python 3 we really have to make
setuptools run and install smoothly under Python 3 too. I'll make a
post on this.

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64