[Distutils] The problem with Setuptools on Python 3.

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 16:26:53 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 4:00 PM, David Cournapeau
<david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Hi Tarek,
>
> Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>>
>> this can change. I am working on it. I need feedback though.
>>
>> let me know how my extension code proposal fits your needs.
>>
>> http://wiki.python.org/moin/Distutils/ManifestPluginSystem/Draft
>>

> I will fill in the examples (this pages does not concern manifest only,
> then ?) from my own experience.

no it doesn't.  it's a generic tool to extend a command using plugins .

> IMHO, adding plugins systems will not change the fundamental
> deficiencies of distutils, though. You may be able to mitigate some
> problems, but I don't think you will be able to solve the fundamental
> issues, because they are fundamental design issues. The only way to fix
> them would induce serious breakage, and in that case, given the quality
> of distutils code, starting from scratch would be easier -

Sorry, it's too easy to say "it sucks, scratch it and re-do it" ;)

1/ I am on Guido side here. I'd rather refactor the existing code.
2/  It's there, it works for a lot of people. let's improve it slowly
step by step
3/ the quality is increasing, the test coverage too. compare the trunk
with Python 2.5 one..

my proposal:

Step 1 - check the extension mechanism and see if it fits your brain
Step 2 - see where you would like to refactor distutils in order to
make it configurable/extensible

--

Tarek