[Distutils] The problem with Setuptools on Python 3.

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 09:21:12 CEST 2009

> One thing you guys should also consider is automated building/testing
> of packages. On different platforms.
>
> Let me give you a practical example...
>
> package win32...
>
> latest version.. no longer works on windows 2000...
>
> only works on xp... or vista...
>
> Bad for me.. takes me time to figure out whats wrong...
>
> Only solution.. go back and find an older release.. yes.. i know..
> I can do that... that works...
>
> With cloud computing... you can get test environments for every platform
>
> Amazon web services as one example offer this
>
> Perl does nightly "builds" and tests....
>
> their automated test system "tests everything"
>
> Another big issue i dislike with many packages... they depend on
> having msvc installed to be able to build them.
>
> In many cases because I don't have MSC installed... this prevents
> me from building some packages. I don't like that...
>
> I don't believe building "everything" on the 5-10 major platforms
> we have (or however many there are) is too much.
>
> Plus now, we have all these different versions of python.. and
> instead of getting better it is only seeming to get more worse...

I had this idea of running a test server that would listen to PyPI and
get every new package to build it and test it on various platform/python.

I think this could be done right now, with how distutils works,

It requires creating virtual machines and destroying them every time
for security reasons.

But it's quite a work...

Cheers
Tarek