[Distutils] Distutils work, roadmap

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 15:08:08 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/4/21 Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>:
>> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 11:11 AM, David Lyon <david.lyon at preisshare.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Tarek,
>>>
>>> I wouldn't take "feedback" as all bad....
>>>
>>> Indirectly, it seems like you are telling people not to report their
>>> experience. Indirectly, it seems like you are discouraging thinking
>>> about what could be done to improve things.
>>
>> I am encouraging people to work with the people that have started
>> to work on various topics durong Pycon
>
> Given that I have not got the time or experience with setuptools or
> distutils to contribute effort to fixing things, you seem to be saying
> that my experience as an end user of these tools, and my spending my
> time trying to understand the implications of the proposals so that I
> can offer useful feedback, is not of interest.

I have never said that. On the contrary, I encourage you to fill your
use case as an end user
in the wiki.

> So be it. I'll stop commenting.
>
> Please let me know when "the work" is complete, and end user feedback
> (or "whining", if you prefer) is welcome again.

I think you misunderstood my point. I am reacting to the people that
are most of the time quite
involved in this area and are discussing in the various threads about
how Distutils is very bad code and should
be replaced from a new tool from scratch. This is going on for over a
year, and since Pycon
we are trying to push forward and write things down to try to fix things.

While discussing in this list is vital, having plans/use case written
down in the wiki, everyone can look at, work on,
is the way to go imho.

At the summit, we discussed about the raw roadmap validated by Guido,
and people have started to sprint.
Currently, various people are working on various pre-PEP, use cases, etc.

Some threads are going a little backward and I am scared to loose the momentum.

So my point is : please don't be offended by my previous mail, and
please don't stop to provide feedback.
That was a bad reaction I admit, I am sorry. I'll try to make things
clearer by updating the wiki page maybe,
or the python.org page

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org