[Distutils] Questionnaire: Why do you use setuptools?

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Wed Apr 22 14:38:30 CEST 2009

On Apr 21, 2009, at 18:54 PM, David Cournapeau wrote:

> The problem with a new "Distutils2" 100 % compatible with the current
> one is that it is impossible to do without recreating all the things
> which it does wrong,

I'm sorry, I was unclear.  I do not think that it is super important
for a programmer who currently uses setuptools to package their
software to be able to switch to distutils2 to package their software.

I do think that it is super important for a programmer who uses
distutils2 to be able to easily re-use the software written by
*other* people who use setuptools, and vice versa.  This means the
sdist format should be interoperable, probably the bdist_egg format
should be interoperable, and the "install_requires" metadata should
be interoperable.

It would also be nice if a programmer who is choosing whether to use
setuptools or distutils2 to package their own software could consider
the library of development tools plugins as equally available for
both, instead of thinking "Oh, I could use the new distutils2, which
has a cleaner design and is in Python 2.7, but if I use setuptools
then I can continue to use all these development plugins that already
exist".  So if distutils2 can re-use extant setuptools plugins, then
that would be handy.

Regards,

Zooko