[Distutils] [issue68] install local package with extras with easy_install

Chad setuptools at bugs.python.org
Thu Apr 23 05:03:02 CEST 2009

New submission from Chad <chadrik at gmail.com>:

1) easy_install can be used to install "extra" dependencies, using the following
syntax (undocumented on the PEAK website, as far as i can tell):

$ easy_install mypackage[extraFeature]

where "extraFeature" is a feature specified by the package's extras_require
keyword in setup.py.

2) easy_install can be used to install a package in the current directory (as of
0.5a9) :

$ easy_install .

however, these two features can't be combined:

$ easy_install .[extraFeature]
running easy_install
Searching for .[extraFeature]
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/./
No local packages or download links found for .[extraFeature]
error: Could not find suitable distribution for Requirement.parse('.[extraFeature]')

I feel that the above is a bug. '.' should be treated as a path not a package
name, since '.' is not a valid package name.  i haven't looked at the code yet,
but it seems that a regular expression should be able to determine between a
valid package name, an http address, and a path on disk.  it seems like '.' was
added as a special case, because other relative paths don't seem to be supported:

$ cd /path/to/mypackage
$ easy_install ../mypackage[extraFeature]
error: Not a URL, existing file, or requirement spec: '../mypackage[extraFeature] '

I'd be glad to submit a patch, if you just point me to the proper repository to
checkout and the proper procedures for getting it integrated into the main branch.

-chad

messages: 279
nosy: chadrik
priority: bug
status: unread
title: install local package with extras with easy_install