[Distutils] RFC : PEP 376 - egg.info

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 14:23:41 CEST 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 2:11 PM, David Lyon <david.lyon at preisshare.net> wrote:
> As far as I can see, it's just so much better to have a
> package uninstaller in a seperate gui tool. That can be
> installed over an existing installation.

We are planning to propose a backport for previous versions

> The big problem with using a manifest of installed files is that
> the setup.py in distutils can generate more files than were originally
> in the source package. Doing a build... for instance... leaves .o
> or .obj files.

And creates scripts files, etc..

> The way to solve the problem is to recursively delete the whole
> package directory. That gets rid of everything. Intermediate files
> and all...
>

>>   What would be the interest of having the list of source files in
>> egg-info ?
>
> Not neccessary - recursively delete the whole package directory or
> .egg file.

No because you can have files installed anywhere

The way to handle de-installation is to use the recorded list of file
that can be created by the 'sdist' command at installation time

It's the --record option and we want to put its output in  "RECORD" in
the egg.info

Now my point is : do we want to add the MANIFEST (source file list)
file as well.
Setuptools and pip are adding a SOURCES.txt file at this point.

Cheers
Tarek