[Distutils] RFC : PEP 376 - egg.info

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Thu Apr 30 15:32:42 CEST 2009

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 14:43:42 +0200, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>
wrote:
>> That's true that they can be installed anywhere. But there always
>> needs to be an entry in a .PTH file along the python path to
>> specify where the files were installed to.
>
> You don't specify in this pth file that the package "foo" installed
> the script "bar"
> in the bin/ directory of your python installation.

But during package installation, this information will be written
into a .PTH file somewhere along the python path...

> There's no plan to provide the uninstall feature for old packages,
> but to provide a new egg-info standard that can be used on previous
> Python version. (and therefore the uninstall feature that goes with it)

but if you can't uninstall an older package from the system... then
how can you install the newer version with all the new information..

this leaves the user quite stuck...

>> Obviously.. there's ways around it...
>
> I don't see how, since there were no standard way back then to keep
> track of installed files

That's my point....

Having a system where new packages can be deinstalled and old packages
cannot be deinstalled will be totally confusing for users.

It will drive most users crazy - if you think about it.

If you have a deinstallation facility, then it must work for new
packages as well as old. Otherwise, imho there's just no point.

David