[Distutils] distutils.cfg vs pydistutils.cfg

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 10:52:27 CEST 2009

2009/8/4 M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com>:
> Barry Warsaw wrote:
>> On Aug 3, 2009, at 4:45 AM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>>
>>> It would be nice to have a user config *directory* for all Python
>>> config things, e.g. ~/.python/. Then it'd be natural to drop
>>> the ".py" prefix. Without the prefix, people would have a hard time
>>> connecting a .distutils.cfg in their home dir with Python.
>>
>> Python already uses ~/.local for stuff.  It should go in there.
>
> You have a point there... we could put the user local config
> files into ~/.local/lib/python2.6/ and then name it distutils.cfg
> just like for the system-wide install.

So in that case I suppose I have to lookup at PYTHONUSERBASE as well,
as done on site.py.

I also propose if that's the case, to add a function in site.py that
returns USER_SITE and USER_BASE,
so it can be used by site.addusersitepackages *and* by distutils here

Regards
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org