[Distutils] Distribute and zc.buildout + bootstraping file names + release/branches roadmap

Sridhar Ratnakumar SridharR at activestate.com
Tue Aug 4 23:11:00 CEST 2009

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 14:04:21 -0700, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> $ virtualenv --no-site-packages env1
>> $ rm -rf env1/lib/python2.6/site-packages/* # remove previously
>> installed
>> setuptools
>> $ env1/bin/python bootstrap.py
>> Downloading http://nightly.ziade.org/distribute-0.6-py2.6.egg
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>  File "bootstrap.py", line 41, in <module>
>>    if to_reload:
>> NameError: name 'to_reload' is not defined
>>
>> This is because you haven't initialized `to_reload` *before* trying to
>> run
>> the code in the first try: block.
> oups, I didn't upload the right version, it's now updated,
> please get it back and try agin

Ok, with the new bootstrap.py I have no need for bootstrapping.py.

bootstrap.py and the distribute egg it downloaded works fine here - all
tests in pypm pass with s/setuptools/distribute.

So is Distribute going to be a 100% compatible replacement for setuptools?
Suppose if some software ships with distribute and if the user later tries
to install easy_install, what would happen? Cases like that.

-srid