[Distutils] Distribute and zc.buildout + bootstraping file names + release/branches roadmap

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Wed Aug 5 12:33:52 CEST 2009

Tarek Ziadé, on 2009-08-04:
> If you use zc.buildout, you can try it by replacing the bootstrap.py
> file that comes with your buildout with the one I work on, then
> a/ add "distribute" to the required eggs in your buildout cfg file
> b/ run or re-run the bootstrap:
> $ wget http://nightly.ziade.org/bootstrap.py
> $ python bootstrap.py

That seems to be working fine in a Plone buildout I tried it with.
Well, I tried this buildout:
and added the changes you mention above (not committed).

The bin/instance script has distribute in its path.  The bin/test file
does *not* contain distribute.  (Both have the normal setuptools egg
in their path.)  But since the bin/test script actually is a wrapper
around the bin/instance script this is probably okay.  At least when
running bin/test or bin/instance I get a few of these warnings:

UserWarning: Module pkg_resources was already imported from
but /home/maurits/shared-eggs/setuptools-0.6c9-py2.4.egg is being
added to sys.path

It would be nice if those warnings could be avoided, but I assume this
is not possible.

All tests of my buildout pass and I can correctly create a Plone Site
with this and install the Plone HRM product.  So I would say this is
working fine, at least for this use case.

> 2/ bootstraping file names
> To avoid any confusion, I've changed distribute's bootstrap file name.
> So we will have:
> - ez_setup.py = setuptools bootstrap file
> - bootstraping.py = distribute bootstrap file
> - bootstrap.py = zc.buildout bootstrap file
> If you think "bootstraping" is a silly name, or have a better
> proposition, please let me know.

I would spell and pronounce it bootstrapping with a double 'p'.
googlefight.com sees 333,000 results for double 'p' and only 5,900 for
single 'p':

I know I would continuously spell it wrong if it was with a single
letter 'p'.

Thanks for your hard work!

            Work | http://zestsoftware.nl/