[Distutils] Distribute and zc.buildout + bootstraping file names + release/branches roadmap

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Aug 5 19:36:05 CEST 2009

At 08:14 AM 8/5/2009 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
>It would be great if we could come up with a
>much smaller install library that multiple packages could share.

I've previously proposed to split out installation stuff (plus
pkg_resources) to such a library, leaving just the
setup.py/easy_install aspects in setuptools proper.  This is
currently still a vaporware proposal, but I've at least done a bit
more specific code sketching since then.  The original concept notes
can be found here:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2009-July/012685.html

I don't know if this is exactly what you had in mind, but I expect
it's at least somewhat similar; your previous request for
"easy_install as a set of independent functions" was not forgotten.  ;-)