[Distutils] Distribute and zc.buildout + bootstraping file names + release/branches roadmap

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 08:38:51 CEST 2009

2009/8/5 Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com>:
>> Unfortunalety, even outside zc.buildout, I don't see any other
>> solution than setting up a "fake" setuptools,
>> to avoid changes in third party softwares, like their "install_requires" field.
>
> I don't agree with this goal. Why not let 3rd-party developers add
> support for distribute explicitly.

Hmm. Are there any serious bugs in setuptools that raises their head
when you *install* something?
I know of the svn bugs, etc, but they are when you create the package.
If the serious bugs are just when distributing, then we don't actually
need to replace setuptools when installing.

But faking it may not be needed. Distribute should reasonably itself
know that it replaces setuptools and not install it just because it's
in install_requires. And for buildout, it would in that case be better
if a new release of buildout uses distribute instead of setuptools.

> My own view is that we shouldn't try to fork setuptools, but should do
> something different and much smaller.  I think setuptools is far more
> ambitious than it needs to be.

This is true, but the fork is necessary to get something working, now.

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64