[Distutils] Distribute and zc.buildout + bootstraping file names + release/branches roadmap

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Aug 6 16:13:01 CEST 2009

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> If you use zc.buildout, you can try it by replacing the bootstrap.py
> file that comes with your buildout with the one I work on, then
>
> a/ add "distribute" to the required eggs in your buildout cfg file

Why is this needed? No one has needed to specify setuptools as a
dependency previously, so why should they have to specify distribute now?

> b/ run or re-run the bootstrap:
>
> $ wget http://nightly.ziade.org/bootstrap.py
> $ python bootstrap.py

So, this is a drop-in replacement for the bootstrap.py provided by buildout?

> the distribute egg. Last, the setuptools egg is faked and you wil
> notice that it's empty. This has to be done so zc.buildout and any
> software
> out there that has a hardcoded dependency on setuptools thinks it's present.

I think this is a bad idea. It can't be that hard to patch buildout to
use distribute instead of setuptools. Running s/setuptools/distribute
should do it...

> 2/ bootstraping file names
>
> To avoid any confusion, I've changed distribute's bootstrap file name.
> So we will have:
>
> - ez_setup.py = setuptools bootstrap file
> - bootstraping.py = distribute bootstrap file
> - bootstrap.py = zc.buildout bootstrap file

Now you've lost me... What is bootstrap[p]ing.py versus the bootstrap.py
that comes with distribute?

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk