[Distutils] Distribute and zc.buildout + bootstraping file names + release/branches roadmap

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 16:22:05 CEST 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Chris Withers<chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>>
>> If you use zc.buildout, you can try it by replacing the bootstrap.py
>> file that comes with your buildout with the one I work on, then
>>
>> a/ add "distribute" to the required eggs in your buildout cfg file
>
> Why is this needed? No one has needed to specify setuptools as a dependency
> previously, so why should they have to specify distribute now?

for the scripts created in zc.recipe.egg sections, so distribute is
included in the sys.path
since this recipe re-creates it.

>> b/ run or re-run the bootstrap:
>>
>> $ wget http://nightly.ziade.org/bootstrap.py
>> $ python bootstrap.py
>
> So, this is a drop-in replacement for the bootstrap.py provided by buildout?

yes

>> the distribute egg. Last, the setuptools egg is faked and you wil
>> notice that it's empty. This has to be done so zc.buildout and any
>> software
>> out there that has a hardcoded dependency on setuptools thinks it's
>> present.
>
> I think this is a bad idea. It can't be that hard to patch buildout to use
> distribute instead of setuptools. Running s/setuptools/distribute should do
> it...

but as I explained earlier, even if buildout uses distribute, you
can't prevent an egg
out there to have an install_requires with setuptools, leading to the
mentionned problem
(the install battle)

>> 2/ bootstraping file names
>>
>> To avoid any confusion, I've changed distribute's bootstrap file name.
>> So we will have:
>>
>> - ez_setup.py = setuptools bootstrap file
>> - bootstraping.py = distribute bootstrap file
>> - bootstrap.py = zc.buildout bootstrap file
>
> Now you've lost me... What is bootstrap[p]ing.py versus the bootstrap.py
> that comes with distribute?

bootstraping.py replaces ez_setup.py

it's to Distribute what ez_setup.py is to setuptools

bootstrap.py is the replacement for buildout's bootstrap.py script

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org