[Distutils] Distribute 0.7 development + 0.6 maint.

Sridhar Ratnakumar sridharr at activestate.com
Mon Aug 10 21:26:47 CEST 2009

On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 17:36:43 -0700, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 0.7
> ----
> The plan is to start the refactoring:
> - py3k support
> - split the code in several distributions
> - think about new features / behaviors, we need

And 0.7 will have different package namespace (thus not conflicting with
an existing setuptools installation), correct?

A while ago, PJE reported what he had in his mind regarding the package
split. With that in mind, something like distribute.download,
distribute.sandbox, distribute.metadata, distribute.installer, etc.. would
be nice. PyPM already uses setuptools.package_index for downloading
packages .. and might move to distribute if it provides a clean and
separate API for doing this.

-srid