[Distutils] virtualenv with distribute

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 12:53:19 CEST 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Chris Withers<chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>>
>> Why that ? if you want to use a software in a virtualenv, you have to
>> (re)install it in there...
>
> Yeah, but the process of setting up a virtualenv installs setuptools and
> makes it available to the virtualenv.
>
> Rather than installing setuptools, I'd like it to install distribute and use
> that instead.

Sure, maybe you could suggest that on the virtual env mailing list,
but maybe Ian will want to wait for Distribute 0.7
(that's what I'd do but I am not 100% sure of the best strategy for that)

> I don't want to install distribute over setuptools in the virtualenv and
> wondering if that worked like it should...

It should work. Before I did the release, I have successfully tested
installing in a venv, and provided a script for
people to try on their side: http://nightly.ziade.org/install_test.py

Beside, virtualenv or not, installing over setuptools and preventing
setuptools to install itself over distribute
is something I took care of by faking a setuptools installation when
distribute is installed.

Cheers
Tarek