[Distutils] Splitting distribute in several distributions

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 00:30:47 CEST 2009

Hey,

I've started to work on splitting Distribute into several distributions for 0.7

Here's the organization  I was thinking about:

- Distribution Name  = "Distribute"
- Content: setuptools package renamed to distribute (minus some
elements). root modules in setuptools will be moved to the
distribute.core package so the
  root namespace stays empty.

- Distribution Name  = "DistributeResources"
- Content: the part of pkg_resources.py that handles installed
distribution querying +  renamed to "distribute.resources"

- Distribution Name  = "DistributeEntryPoints"
- Content: the part of pkg_resources.py that handles entry points +
renamed to "distribute.entry_points"

- Distribution Name  = "DistributeInstaller"
- Content: the part of pkg_resources.py that handles version
comparison + package_index, that gets files at pypi + easy_install.py
+ easy_install command extracted from setuptools package +  renamed
into a "distribute.installer" package

I am not sure yet how the distribute namespace will be handled,
because (maybe ala PEP 382)

I am not sure either if "setuptools.sandbox" should get its own
distribution. I'd keep it in Distribute

Any thoughts ?

Cheers
Tarek