[Distutils] Splitting distribute in several distributions
ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 00:30:47 CEST 2009
I've started to work on splitting Distribute into several distributions for 0.7
Here's the organization I was thinking about:
- Distribution Name = "Distribute"
- Content: setuptools package renamed to distribute (minus some
elements). root modules in setuptools will be moved to the
distribute.core package so the
root namespace stays empty.
- Distribution Name = "DistributeResources"
- Content: the part of pkg_resources.py that handles installed
distribution querying + renamed to "distribute.resources"
- Distribution Name = "DistributeEntryPoints"
- Content: the part of pkg_resources.py that handles entry points +
renamed to "distribute.entry_points"
- Distribution Name = "DistributeInstaller"
- Content: the part of pkg_resources.py that handles version
comparison + package_index, that gets files at pypi + easy_install.py
+ easy_install command extracted from setuptools package + renamed
into a "distribute.installer" package
I am not sure yet how the distribute namespace will be handled,
because (maybe ala PEP 382)
I am not sure either if "setuptools.sandbox" should get its own
distribution. I'd keep it in Distribute
Any thoughts ?
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org
More information about the Distutils-SIG