[Distutils] Splitting distribute in several distributions

Sridhar Ratnakumar SridharR at activestate.com
Wed Aug 12 02:33:26 CEST 2009

I am glad that you have started thinking about the module split.

1) Why are the distributions named in CamelCase? Why not
'distribute.resources' instead of 'DistributeResources' (like, for
instance, zope.interface instead of ZopeInterface).

2) In your proposal below, version comparison is part of
distribute.installer; this means distribute.resources (and other modules
needing version comparison) will be depending on distribute.installer,
correct? Is this intended, or should version comparison go to something
like distribute.core?

3) PyPM's backend uses a) pkg_resources' version comparison, b)
package_index's download logic (not API-friendly). I'd be interested to
see distribute.installer provide this download logic (finding URLs,
tarballs and fetching them) as an API. I believe pip and zc.buildout too
relies on this download logic.

4) How about distribute.pypi that interfaces with pypi?

-srid