[Distutils] Splitting metadata from setup.py in distutils..

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Thu Aug 13 01:34:21 CEST 2009

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 19:21:45 -0400, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> Oh for Guido's sake, can we please not use XML?  I'd much prefer a
> human-friendly format ;)

xml is a human friendly format providing that it stays 'simple'.

The advantage of xml in this instance is that the purpose of the file
is immediately obvious to newcomers ie "setup.py + setup.xml". Whereas
other extensions are less clear.

Choosing another extension and rolling your own format just adds
another level of complexity for other people to deal with.

Having said that, we already have a .EGG_INFO file with the metadata
already in it (a funny twist of fate...) so having a "setup.EGG_INFO"
or "setup.INFO" file would seem to me to be the shortest route to
accomplishing what we have here...

Still... I prefer setup.xml over setup.INFO.. but I could
live with either...

David