[Distutils] [Python-Dev] request for comments - standardization of python's purelib and platlib

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Sat Aug 15 02:59:02 CEST 2009

Hi Tarek,

What is needed is to remove/refactor the hardcoding of paths that
currently exists within distutils and replace it with the ability to
override the defaults via configuration files. (distutils.cfg?)

If there's one thing that's certain for the future, its that
python will go onto more platforms. Using different paths.

When people are complaining about paths being hard-coded into
distutils and it causing angst, I think that their complaints are
valid.

I can find posts going back to 2004 for windows users complaining
about exactly the same thing. So it isn't a new issue. The problem
applies to both linux and windows.

Anyway.. do you know the code that we're talking about?

David