[Distutils] how do I add some functionality to my setup.py which is testable and modular?

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Aug 19 18:11:30 CEST 2009

At 12:28 AM 8/19/2009 -0400, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
>What goes in the "..." is pretty important.  For one thing, I don't
>quite understand the implications of this approach.

Basically, anything required in the '...' will be downloaded (and
built if necessary) then dropped into the setup.py directory as an
.egg file or directory, unless of course a suitable version of that
dependency is already on sys.path (or was already downloaded during a
previous run).  They will not necessarily be included at install
time, but will be available during the remainder of the setup.py execution.

It occurs to me that there is some possibility that if a given
library is both a build-time and install-time dependency, that it
might not be installed correctly in the case of a "setup.py install"
(as opposed to an "easy_install whatever") use case. (But if so, then
it's an existing bug in setuptools that should be fixed anyway, and
is not specific to this way of invoking a build-time dependency.)