[Distutils] Postinst functions for distutils MSI installer?

Jason Heeris jason.heeris at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 09:23:50 CEST 2009

Hi,

(Under Python 2.6) I'm trying to get an MSI installer together for a
small python program. I've written a postinst script that basically
creates a shortcut on the desktop (unfortunately I couldn't see a more
agnostic way to do this, but oh well). It works with a "bdist_wininst"
type build, but not with a "bdist_msi" build. It looks like a console
pops up for a tenth of a second, and depending on what fails there's a
GUI error dialog suggesting that I contact... myself... for support.
The script appears to run, but sys.argv does not contain "-install" as
I expected and none of the functions that are given in the
"bdist_wininst" docs are present.

I guess I naively presumed that the MSI build would be similar to the
wininst build, but I can't find any docs, so are there any other
resources I can look at?

Cheers,
Jason