[Distutils] Distribute split final shape

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 09:07:45 CEST 2009

Hello

I've been working on bug fixes for 0.6.1, if you have some bug fixes
you'd like to see urgently fixed in this release
please let me know.

I'll also split Distribute 0.7 sometimes today and change the names,
here's the splitting I'll do

(Distribution Name / Role / Content )

- Distribution Name  = "distribute"
- Role: the core package
- Content: setuptools package renamed to distribute (minus some
  elements). root modules in setuptools will be moved to a
 "distribute.core" package so the root namespace stays empty.
 (the version comparison engine is included here)

- Distribution Name : "distribute.installer"
- Role: everything needed to install
- Content: the part of pkg_resources.py that handles version
  comparison + package_index, that gets files at pypi + easy_install.py
    + easy_install command extracted from setuptools package +  renamed
    into a "distribute.installer" package

- Distribution Name  = "distribute.resources"
- Role: everything needed to query installed packages
- Content: the part of pkg_resources.py that handles installed distribution
  querying +  renamed to "distribute.resources"

- Distribution Name  = "distribute.entrypoints"
- Role: the plugin system
 - Content: the part of pkg_resources.py that handles entry points +
    renamed to "distribute.entrypoints" package.

I'll drop then the bootstraping part we had to have for 0.6 since
the names will not conflict anymore with the Setuptools project.

Cheers
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org